A married father of two riding his way through the crazy life of parenthood, trying to balance family, work and training for an upcoming marathon and Half Ironman triathlon. It's a process. It's a gift. It's life. LIVE IT!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

What Keeps You Going?

I spoke too soon about the weather change and had to call for that extra motivation today. You know the motivation I'm talking about -- that place you go where you somehow fight through the discomfort and sometimes pain to keep moving. I met up with a friend of mine for a 5 miler and didn't think much about the weather, I figured it would be 50's and nice. When I opened the door I had that feeling like all the air was being sucked out of me. The pavement was wet, not from rain but from the humidity. It was thick and would suck every ounce of energy from our chests. We got going and immediately felt the heaviness of the air. If it was possible, the humidity may have read 110%. We both labored through 1 and 2 and finally hit our stride, until we were faced with a half mile incline... it was there we had to reach back and find the extra mojo.

As I was running, I was thinking of that one place we go for that extra kick (and not just for running.) Is it the memory of someone, the jolt of reality realizing you CAN keep going, do you go back to a time in your life when someone doubted your ability, told you it you couldn't do it. Maybe you think of your kids, your spouse, your advesaries. I won't even begin to hypothesize about where Ironman competitors go for that jolt, it is out of my realm of understanding, but how bout you on the normal jaunts through the trails or on the roads.

As we pressed up the hill and on to the end I looked down and found major satisfaction realizing we had just turned in 5 miles at 9.16pace. The motivation must have worked for us today. Where do you find that extra push?

Workout stats:
Thursday
Neighborhood
5-miles
46.28
9.16 pace

Wednesday
Downtown streets/Town Lake Trail
4.5 miles
43.15

3 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I get my push from thinking back on really tough situations I've been through. And I think of how much stronger it made me. It gives me an extra kick.

Great run!

Jodi

3:41 PM

 
Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I think about "lazy" people who never even think about pushing themselves. Knowing I can is all the inspiration I need!!

6:04 PM

 
Blogger Junie B said...

wow, i guess i just never figured the humidity in austin would ever be bad.

you pushed through it!

might catch austin on their 1/2 in February.

11:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home