A married father of two riding his way through the crazy life of parenthood, trying to balance family, work and training for an upcoming marathon and Half Ironman triathlon. It's a process. It's a gift. It's life. LIVE IT!

Friday, October 13, 2006

Lighten up

What great weather this morning for a run around the lake. A crisp 61-degrees, mostly cloudy and low humidity....a treat for Austin. Gearing up for the first 6 mile run in our marathon training regimen tomorrow, I didn't want to go out too fast or go too far, which proved to be a challenge with the great weather. I've been putting in some decent milage recently, so I feel like I am much further along on this training cycle for the marathon than I was at this time last year, but I am quick to be humbled by a bad run or a tough workout. It's interesting to see so many other runners in different parts of the country winding down for the season. Ready to decrease milage and enjoy the cold weather. In Texas, though, October is when you start gearing up for the winter marathons.

Workout stats:
Town Lake Trail/Downtown streets
5.5 Miles
52.48 minutes

To say I have fought the rollercoaster ride of the scale is an understatement. I have always been active, but I used to work out so I could eat more and not gain weight. Very unproductive, very unhealthy because, at the time, I was in the upper 200's. I was always the football type (lineman that is). If you would have told me I would someday find satisfaction in running long distances and find some enjoyment from it, I would have said there was more chance of me winning the lottery, which is non-existent seeing as though I don't play. A few years ago I lost 50 pounds, got serious about getting fit and changed my lifestyle. Too bad I didn't know 10 years ago what a difference it would make in my adult life. Since then I've run a marathon, several half marathons, done some sprint tri's and generally have made it a priority to stay fit and push myself. I am a perineal middle of the packer so it's not like I'm trying to shed a few pounds to start reaching for the Clyde podium. I would, however, like to increase my pace.

The past few weeks, my goal has been to start the process of lightening up. So far, it's worked with relative success. About 10 pounds in 2 months. Already, I've seen small differences in my average pace during runs. Now, I plan to put it in high gear to try and lighten up. My wife is ultra supportive so once I say I'm going for it, she is always there to help. Now, with the added goals of training for my second marathon and first half Ironman, I am ready to kick it up a notch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home