A married father of two riding his way through the crazy life of parenthood, trying to balance family, work and training for an upcoming marathon and Half Ironman triathlon. It's a process. It's a gift. It's life. LIVE IT!

Monday, January 22, 2007

Priorities

Setting priorities in life is a funny thing. They can often times teach you a lot about yourself and what needs to change. Sometimes reevaluating them makes you a bit proud of what you already see. By the lack of blog updates you may have noticed that I've been a bit predisposed in other areas of my life. No, there are no major changes, just minor adjustments that come with any season of growth. In a way, this latest prioritization had nothing to do with me and more to do with surroundings. You see, in many ways the last three and a half years of my "life" in Austin has been the most blessed time of my life. New challenging job, the birth of two great kids, a supportive marriage to a woman who gets me, and a growing spiritual life. All of that and I am taking control of my health and feeding my competitive hunger through fitness, running and triathlons. Things are great right? Short answer is yes... but sometimes it isn't enough.

A change at work has forced me to reevaluate many things. I am now forced to deal with outside forces tugging at my need for efficiency, effectiveness and success at work. I am forced to realize that, sometimes, things are out of my control. It's not a great feeling knowing the process will suffer, but it is reality. I have spent the last month or so trying to make sure the work situation doesn't affect my marriage, my family and our happiness. All of that effort has forced other things to fall below the radar on importance. However, I am proud that we have juggled the increased stress as well as we have.

I am continuing my training for an upcoming marathon and things have been going well. This weekend brings me to my last 20 miler in preparation for the AT&T Austin Marathon February 18th. This will be my second marathon and a chance to atone for last years discouraging finish. Don't get me wrong, last year I was happy to cross the finish line, but I have always had a deep rooted desire to prove I can do better. I will! More on that in the days and weeks to come.

Thanks to all of you who have sent comments asking what was going on in my absence and for those of you who sought me out privately via email....thank you for your concern. Funny how this universe of friends becomes such a network of support. I am great, my family is great...that's what matters....and I already knew that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kick arse on the 20 miler - i know you'll do great!

12:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad everything is great and welcome back.
Good luck on the 20 miler.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

It's all cream cheese after that last long run.

7:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're able to maintain your priorities. Keep your eye on the big picture and remember why you do what you do.

6:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have always been one to overcome the tough times. Keep being who you already are.

3:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home