A married father of two riding his way through the crazy life of parenthood, trying to balance family, work and training for an upcoming marathon and Half Ironman triathlon. It's a process. It's a gift. It's life. LIVE IT!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Making Due With Whatcha Got

Absolutely beautiful weather today in Austin...the kind of day you want to do your long run. Out on the trail before the sun came up I was enjoying every moment of solitude and the feeling that I was out there moving forward while most of the world was still asleep. On tap for the day -- 12 miles. There's something about long runs on the weekend that add extra motivation, a little extra anxiety and even a tinge of excitement. I was cruising and feeling good until I realized my Garmin was acting up and dropped what turned out to be a 1/2 mile off my run. As I was trying to figure out what happened, I broke my rhythm and then started to pay for my mind wandering about where my GPS cheated me. As I was struggling to find my rhythm again I realized just how trivial it was to even worry about the technical glitch. As I ran I just kept telling myself to let it slide...work with whatcha got. Just then a recent story I had remembered put it all into perspective.

Thursday, our little girl came home from Mother's Day Out and had a note about a conversation she had with a girl named Samantha. Chicklet and Samantha were playing babies and trying to find a bottle so they could feed them. Apparently they had looked everywhere but to no avail.

It was then that Chicklet got resourceful. Without missing a beat, our little 2 1/2 year old told Samantha, "You don't need a bottle, you can just use your boobie." She then lifted up her shirt and fed her babies. Needless to say our little girl's teacher about fell over. So far we haven't heard any complaints from Samantha's parents or received any psychologists bills. But there was our little girl making due with what she had. Where others saw challenge, Chicklet found a way to make it work.

As I met up with a friend of mine for the final 7 miles, I was reminded that this was the day I had, I was going to have to make due with this body God gave me and there was nobody else who was going to do it for me. I had to make due with what I had...and I did. I was kicking myself for letting something so trivial like my mileage from my GPS to get me off. I'll check it off to another learning experience. Thank goodness Spence pulled me along for part of the run.



Another development in our household...MiniMe is pulling up. This is how I was greeted a few mornings ago. MiniMe had pulled himself up in his crib and met me with a smirk, announcing his arrival of being on the go. Full on crawling also happened this week. He is on the move faster than mommy and daddy would have liked. Let the fun begin.







Workout stats:
Town Lake Trail
12 Miles
1.56.08
9.40 avg pace

3 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

Way to get it done.

I do the same thing. The tiniest thing can throw off my rhythm and I'm screwed for the rest of the way. I even get screwed up when somebody talks to me at the gym (treadmill) and I have to take my earphones out...

8:51 AM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

The story about your daughter is adorable!

Your run stats look darned good for you to have had a glitch! I'll take those numbers any day.

:)

Jodi

11:25 PM

 
Blogger TriDaddy said...

Great story about your daughter! Great looking kids too!

2:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home