A married father of two riding his way through the crazy life of parenthood, trying to balance family, work and training for an upcoming marathon and Half Ironman triathlon. It's a process. It's a gift. It's life. LIVE IT!

Monday, October 16, 2006

Success, Setbacks & Responsibility


It's funny how the simplest of conversations you can have with a 2-year-old can shed such profound light on life. Looking back on our weekend of all things bodily function (see prior posts for background), I would definitely rate it as a SUCCESS. And, like any good milestone, it came with some nuggets of wisdom thrown in for good measure.

While enjoying some swinging outside in the backyard Friday evening (Day 1 of Potty Bootcamp for those of you keeping score at home), Chicklet quickly announced she needed to go potty. Those words, said in the context of potty training, set off a speed at which you never thought possible. Out of the swing, into the house, to the bathroom we looked like OJ Simpson in those old car rental commercials leaping over chairs. With a five month old in tow, my response time was hampered just enough to spell disaster. As our little girl made it into the bathroom she couldn't hold it any longer...I felt horrible. I told her I was sorry that we didn't move fast enough and it caused her to have an accident and it was all my fault. What came next was a surprise. With a stern look Chicklet pointed her finger (in the way she always does when she's about to fire off some serious statement), and told me "No daddy, it's myyyyyy fault. Whenever I pee in my diapey it's onnnnnnly my fault, not
yours." My wife and I don't know where she got that... but in that moment it was a refreshing look into a 2-year-old having some assemblance of responsibility and taking responsibility for her actions, something we adults have a tough time doing sometimes.

Isn't it supposed to be the other way around....us parents teaching our kids? Four days into potty training we've had 2 accidents, one party, three sticker charts, and lots of laughs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

That's a great story! She sounds like a wonderful little girl. And it seems like the potty training is going quite well!

Jodi

10:07 AM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Oh my goodness. Your children are SO ADORABLE. And I LOVE that your daughter took responsibility for the potty accident! What a cool kid!

10:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the days of potty training. I am SO glad to have that behind me.
Great stories.

11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home