A married father of two riding his way through the crazy life of parenthood, trying to balance family, work and training for an upcoming marathon and Half Ironman triathlon. It's a process. It's a gift. It's life. LIVE IT!

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Ceiling Knocking

The monumental turn of events this morning was enough to make me think of giving up tris one minute, then suffer a complete whiplash-style turn into thinking I was finally "getting it". You know the days....days of pain and joy and fatigue and energy and success and doubt all mixed into one big ball.

Spin class at 5 a.m. was packed...man I love this town. I usually head to a different gym for spin class but since work would keep me closer to home I changed up a bit and was glad I did. The instructor was great and the class was killer. I was also stoked to see brand new spin bikes ... big bonus. After the hills class I rushed over to the pool to meet Spence... on the way I checked my email to find that it was D-Day for he and his wife. Kid number two was on its way and they were on their way to the hospital. Many prayers and wishes going their way today! Then at the pool...the barge was sinking into desperation. During intervals I had that acute sinking feeling and was stopped dead in the water. I came up for air and had one of those moments of severe doubt. I finished the 100, albeit very slowly and regrouped.

I then decided...forget distance, let's go for time. I was determined to swim for 10 minutes straight.... laughable for many of you, but I needed something. Fifty turned to 100, 100 to 200 and I was in a groove. When I needed to recover I slowed down, but to my surprise I kept going. Quickly the 10 mintues were over and I was still feeling good. Switching to going for distance, I was surprised to feel the laps ticking away. I did flip over for a few 25's of backstroke, but ended up with 1000yds non-stop...most ever. I wasn't burning up the pace...but it was all at once and I left energized that the Olympic tri was now within reach. It was a good day! For the first time in a long time, I felt like I was getting close to knocking on that glass ceiling.

6 Comments:

Blogger DV said...

way to go!

1:18 AM

 
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I remember the exact moment I realized that I had put enough time into swimming that I could use my *pace* to recover! Whodda Thunk?? Used to be (like 2 months ago) that I had two speeds: swimming and standing waiting to swim. In no time you'll bust through that glass ceiling, no doubt!

11:55 AM

 
Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Here's what I "tri" to remember...the swim is the fastest part. You'll be swimming the least amount of time. If you can focus on relaxing the water like you did today, you'll be great!!! Now, if only I could practice what I preach ;-)

3:53 PM

 
Blogger Bigun said...

ditto Im able - once you learn your pace and balance - you can swim for as long as you have the time. Nice breakthrough!

6:54 AM

 
Blogger LoneStarCrank said...

Don't know that I'm quite there yet, Bigun, but I will be. Small steps are always nice to see...especially when you start to doubt that they will ever happen.

11:06 AM

 
Blogger Kewl Nitrox said...

Well done! Sounds like a genuinue break thru!

That's they way to do it - go for distance 1st and worry about speed later.

1:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home