A married father of two riding his way through the crazy life of parenthood, trying to balance family, work and training for an upcoming marathon and Half Ironman triathlon. It's a process. It's a gift. It's life. LIVE IT!

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sink or Swim

It's never a good sign when your swim instructor tells you the warm up will be longer than you've gone for the 5 previous months combined. Swim class number 2 and so far, so good. I am wondering when I'll turn the corner into thinking swimming is "fun" or something that I "look forward to." So far, not there...but a step closer to stopping the carnage that is my tri reality.

This weekend also meant the last substantive run of my marathon training. Spence and I legged out an 8 miler through the hilly section of the upcoming AT&T Austin Marathon course. The hills will certainly be a force to be reckoned with...but we have put in the miles, invested the time and we both left Saturday's training run with confidence. As we clipped along, we passed a few of the painted course mile markings that have found their way to the pavement. Seeing the markings brought a certainly level of excitement and anxiety. The only thing left now is to stay healthy, slightly refine some strategy, do some family planning for race cheering and enjoy the last few days before race day.

Of course, these final days are filled with phantom pains brought on by a decrease in training intensity and the anxiety about every twinge of a cold you feel may be coming on. I will say, I am getting to the start line healthier and stronger than I've felt in previous races. This next week will likely drive my wife crazy with all of the things I'm checking, double checking. Most people call it being obsessive compulsive....we call it raceday.

What is it that drives your significant other crazy about your over the top preparation? What's the one thing you are so uptight about, others would think you were crazy?

Saturday's workout:
Austin hills
8 miles
9.27 pace

6 Comments:

Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Those phantom pains always freak me out a little. I think my legs just get lonely and want to be sure I remember they're down there. Sometimes they can be *so* insecure...geesh...

11:02 AM

 
Blogger LoneStarCrank said...

Yeah what are they thinking... we've only been beating them into submission week after week and then they decide they want more punishment?!@#$?

1:01 PM

 
Blogger S. Baboo said...

My phantom pains are always complicated by the fact that I usually have real pains. During my heavy training i convince myself that they are phantom pains and during my taper I am fairly certain i have developed some new and mysterous injury.

2:54 PM

 
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I had the phantom pains before IM Florida and they drove me batty. I've read they're caused by the muscles reparing or something like that. All I know it was freaky.

What drives others around me crazy is that I insist on cleaning my bike right after each ride. Something in me won't let it wait until the next day.

Stay tuned...

10:54 AM

 
Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Before my marathon I was so afraid I would get sick or get hurt. Good luck, there's nothing in the world like the finish line at a marathon.

4:00 PM

 
Blogger tri-mama said...

"most people call it OCD, we call it race day" fantastic quote. enjoy the taper and good luck in your race.

7:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home